Normandy, France

Chateau de Cany

Location: The Chateau de Cany is a castle of Louis XIII located on the Common Cany-Barville In Seine-Maritime.

more »

Château d'Eu

Location: Eu, Closest: Dieppe

The Château d'Eu is a former royal residence in the town of Eu, in the Seine-Maritime department of France, in Normandy.

more »

Chateau de Filières

The chateau de Filières stands on the site of a medieval fortress surrounded by moats. The lines of the ancient house were discovered during the last drought and still remain in the middle of the courtyard.

more »

Chateau De Valmont

At the heart of the Pays de Caux, 11 km east of Fecamp, Valmont is dominated by its chateau rising on a rocky outcrop.

more »

Château de Galleville

Location: Doudeville - 10 mins from chateau

Built in 1680 for M. Roque de Varengeville, counsellor of Louis 14th and his ambassodor in Venice, Galleville is a magnificent example of the classical grand manner.

more »

Chateau de Saint-Victor

more »

Chateau de Bailleul

more »

Chateau Angerville-la-Martel

more »

Chateau de Silleron

more »

Chateau de Auberville La Manuel

more »

Chateau de Beaumesnil

Nicknamed the “Norman Versailles”, this Baroque-style Louis XIII château’s façade is richly decorated with Florentine motifs.

more »

Chateau des Nids

more »

Chateau de Boury-en-Vexin

more »

Chateau de Canouville

Canouville is a small French village, near Cany-Barville.

Its inhabitants are called Canouville and Canouvillaises.

more »

Chateau de Cleres

more »

Chateau de Crasville-la-Rocquefort

more »

Chateau du Taillis

Location: Duclair, near Jumieges

Built on the foundations of a fortified house of XIII century It was built around 1530 by Jehan Du Fay's Tailly.

more »

Chateau Arnouville

more »

Chateau Orcher

The Chateau d'Orcher is a castle in the commune of Gonfreville-l'Orcher in the Seine-Maritime departement of France.

more »

Chateau Heudicourt

more »

Chateau Imbleville

more »

Chateau du Champ de Bataille

The Château du Champ-de-Bataille, located in the region Haute-Normandie, between the commune of Neubourg and Sainte-Opportune-du-Bosc, in the Department Eure, is a baroque castle built in 17th century for the Maréchal de Créqui.

more »

Chateau de Martainville

Located in Martainville-Epreville,15 km north-east of Rouen, the castle houses a museum, and was built in 1485 by a Flemish architect for Jacques Le Pelletier, lord of Martinville.

more »

Chateau de Janville

more »

Chateau de Etelan

The Château d'Ételan is a historical building in the commune of Saint-Maurice-d'Ételan in the Seine-Maritime département in Normandy, France. Situated on the right bank ot the Seine between the Brotonne and Tancarville bridges, the Château d’Ételan commands a site overlooking the final loop of the river Seine.

more »

Chateau Herbouville

more »

Chateau de la Petite-Croix

more »

Chateau de Miromesnil

Location: Tourville-sur-Arques, Dieppe

Built in 1590 on the ruins of a castle destroyed during the Battle of Arques Castle Miromesnil reflects four centuries of architectural history.

more »

Chateau de Bizy

The Castle Bizy is located Vernon in the Department ofEure in Haute-Normandie.

more »

Chateau de Cany

Location: The Chateau de Cany is a castle of Louis XIII located on the Common Cany-Barville In Seine-Maritime.

The castle is the subject of a registration under Monuments since April 14, 1930.

It is made of bricks, stone limestone and sandstone. It is covered with a roof slate. It is surrounded by a large park Watered by the Durdent, Which feeds the moat.

It was built between 1640 and 1656, Commissioned by Peter the Mariner, a parliamentary RouenAnd according to plans François Mansart. Pierre Bec-Anne Hare and Christian de Montmorency-Luxembourg were then successively by the owners, In 2009, it belongs to Count Antoine de Dreux-Breze, the family ofHarcourt.

Since 1980, when it is uninhabited, it is open to the public every summer from 1st July.

You can admire, outdoors, gardens and, inside, the furniture XVIIIecentury, woodwork, draperies, library and kitchen. It was the scene of the annual competition ofcoupling School Joan of Arc.

Classified as historical monuments Castle Cany-Barville can be visited in July and August, its apartments illustrate different periods of art and local life.

Its various owners were: Peter the Mariner, Peter harelip, Anne-Christian de Montmorency-Luxembourg.

It is currently owned by Count Antoine de Dreux Breze and his wife born Gillonne D'Harcourt, daughter of HRH Princess D'Orleans.

The count, very involved in education, has taken the castle park of Cany-Barville school Joan of Arc until 2006 to make a annual competition for teams.

An English park of 30 hectares around it, with ponds and a half-moon in water.

Outside the park of Cany-Barville, Chapel of Our Lady of Barville, built in 1527 according to an inscription on one of piliers.Elle depended the abbey of Valmont, whose family were lords of Guyon -Matignon and Grimaldi Princes of Monaco.

It is a place of pilgrimage dedicated to Saint Simeon. This pilgrimage continues every first Sunday of May.

Farther away, the chapel of Saint Gilles Saint Leu in the hamlet of Caniel, dated the 17th century, built entirely of sandstone. She belonged to the abbey of Fecamp, and is opposite the ruins of the medieval castle of the Barony of Caniel. Local legends trace the place of worship at the time of Clovis.

Open from July 1st to August 31st every day 10-H to 12 H and 15 H to 18 H except Fridays.

Rates : 7 € (4 € 7 to 18 years).
Groups of 12 to 25: 5 euros per person.

Chateau de Cany-Barville - Road Barville
Tel. : 02 35 97 87 36 or 02 35 97 04 60

Château d'Eu

Location: Eu, Closest: Dieppe

The Château d'Eu is a former royal residence in the town of Eu, in the Seine-Maritime department of France, in Normandy.

The château d'Eu stands at the centre of the town and was built in the 16th century to replace an earlier one purposely demolished in 1475 to prevent its capture by the English. The chapel contains the tombs of Henry I, Duke of Guise, and his wife, Catherine de Clèves, who embarked on the construction of the château in 1578. The building was completed almost a century later by the Anne Marie Louise d'Orléans, Duchess of Montpensier, la Grande Mademoiselle. Between 1830 and 1848, the château, which had been the property of the Orléans family since its acquisition by La Grande Mademoiselle in October 1657, served as King Louis-Philippe's summer residence.

In 1964, the city of Eu acquired the château, in which, in 1973, it installed its City Hall and created the Musée Louis-Philippe.

In 1987, the castle, its dependencies and park were classified a Monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.

Open all days except Tuesday the whole day and Friday morning. Open 10-12 and 14-18. 15 March - 1 November.

Chateau de Filières

The chateau de Filières stands on the site of a medieval fortress surrounded by moats. The lines of the ancient house were discovered during the last drought and still remain in the middle of the courtyard.

Under Henry the Fourth, the Chardon de Filières family built there a stone manor house. In 1785 Charles Alexandre de Catteville replace the stone building by another, more important one.

The construction was stopped by the Revolution. That is the reason why today two different styles can be admired : one still from the Renaissance period, the other one from Louis XVI period.

The dovecote, made of chalk and flint belongs to the 16th century manor house. Stables and monumental outbuildings called "le Dôme" date from the 19th century.

The whole property stands in the middle of a wide "clos masure", typical from the Pays de Caux region, surrounded by planted embankments and completed by a superb alley called "the Cathedral".

The garden, flourished by beautiful rhododendrons has to be seen too.

The exceptional furniture offers a magnificent example of the decoration of the 18th century.

The tomb of Elisabth Aspinwall died in 1783 and wife of William Neville - Hart English gentleman , a member of parliament of Great Britain

On the grounds of the castle are the tracks used during WWII for the V1 bombs.

Open every afternoon from Easter to 1st of October on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays. Open every days in July and August. €5 per person. The Marquis de Persan will personnely guide you through the castle.
Base Rate - Adult Full price : 6 euros
Base Rate -Adult Full price : 6 euros
Child rate : 3 euros
Child - 10 years : free.
Reduction - age max . : 10 years
group rate Adult : 5 euros
group rate Adult : 5 euros

Chateau De Valmont

At the heart of the Pays de Caux, 11 km east of Fecamp, Valmont is dominated by its chateau rising on a rocky outcrop.

Founded in the twelfth century, it belonged to the family of Estouteville, who, upon his arrival in the village, allowed it to experience a real boom. Descendant of Vikings, the family has several Estouteville important figures in the history of Normandy.

Thus, Robert I of Estouteville fought the English alongside William the Conqueror at Hastings in 1066 William of Estouteville was Cardinal-Archbishop of Rouen, Louis Estouteville defended Mont St. Michel against the English, and to Jacques 'Estouteville transformed the chateau into a defensive stronghold in the fifteenth century ...

This chateau, surrounded by a beautiful park, has a Romanesque keep flanked by a wing Louis XI crowned with a covered walkway, and a wing was added Renaissance in the sixteenth century by Adrienne Estouteville.

Château de Galleville

Location: Doudeville - 10 mins from chateau

Built in 1680 for M. Roque de Varengeville, counsellor of Louis 14th and his ambassodor in Venice, Galleville is a magnificent example of the classical grand manner.

The park surrounded by a double row of secular beeches, the two court-yards, the old walls and dry moat, leading to the majestic house, all show the same perfect unity of style as well as unquestionable elegance in the skilful use of flint and stone and the varied hues of rose brick Jeanne-Angélique de Varengeville inherited Galleville when she married King Louis XIV's renowned warrior, the Marshal Duke de Villars.

Since she sold the property in 1769 it has not been alienated. In the house the visitor may see furniture and paintings of the 17th and 18th centuries, token of remembrance concerning the imperial court of Vienna, decorative stuccoes in the chapel, the original unchanged kitchen.

Bleached lime-trees, long hedges of hornbeam clipped so as to form arches and pillars, vast lawns adorned by yew and box topiary correspond to the traditional park "à la française", whereas the flower-garden and several small secret gardens, are a riot of colour with many perennial and annual plants.

In the enchanting kitchen-garden, curtained off by espaliered apple-trees, box-edged plots show alternate rows of vegetables and flowers in matching colours.

Chateau de Beaumesnil

Nicknamed the “Norman Versailles”, this Baroque-style Louis XIII château’s façade is richly decorated with Florentine motifs.

Inside note the monumental staircase and, in the library, the unusual open-sided chimneypiece.

An important collection of 17C-18C books are on permanent display.

The splendid park retains its original 17C layout.

A boxwood maze now occupies the former moat around its feudal keep.

Initiated in 1633 by Jacques, Marquess of Nonant, for his wife Marie Dauvet Desmaret on the remains of a stronghold of which the dungeon surrounded by moats is now covered by box trees, Beaumesnil was completed in 1640.

What makes Beaumesnil so unique in France is its architecture. With the Medicis fountain and the Sully mansion in Paris, it is a very rare example of Louis XIII baroque style. This "free" architecture boasts comedia dell'Arte masks, monumental chimneys, and all kind of optical effects and ornaments.

Successively the property of familes such as the Montmorency- Laval, the Bethune-Charost, the Maistre, the Grand Duke Dimitri of Russia, it was finally purchased by Jean and Eugenie Fürstemberg in 1939 and they started to restaure the domain after World War two.

Since their death in 1982, the Fürstenberg Beaumesnil Fondation is doing its best to maintain the domain and its collections.

"Grand salon", library, dining room, apartment of Madam the castle of Beaumesnil, proposes very Numerous bookbindings dated from XVIth c. are displayed. You will first be invited to watch a video explaining the art of bookbinders and gilders in order to appreciate our collection.

A passionate collector, Jean Fürstemberg had put together one of the most important ancient bookbinding ensemble in the world.

There is a little left of the gardens that la Quintinie, who later cooperated with Le Notre in Versailles may have designed originally. The gardens were restaured in their XVIIIth c. environments, displaying:

- Formal french gardens
- Two impressive perpectives
- A surprising box trees "labyrinth"
- A nice 100 acres park

Easter to June 30 - Friday - Monday - 14:00-18:00 July - August - Everyday 11:00-18:00 September - Everyday except Tuesday - 14:00-18:00

Entrance castle & parc: €7 adults, €3.50 kids Entrance park: €3 adults.

Chateau de Canouville

Canouville is a small French village, near Cany-Barville.

Its inhabitants are called Canouville and Canouvillaises.

The town covers 4.5 km and 283 inhabitants since the last population census. The population density is 63.0 inhabitants per km on the town.

Surrounded by the common Clasville, Butot-Vénesville and Ouainville, Canouville is located 18 km north-east of Fecamp the largest city nearby.

The Chateau was built in the 19th century, and is a Private residence

Chateau du Taillis

Location: Duclair, near Jumieges

Built on the foundations of a fortified house of XIII century It was built around 1530 by Jehan Du Fay's Tailly.

After an unfinished building, the central body was enlarged by the addition of two pavilions XVII century and completed by new wings XVIII century. They are so 300 years of architecture stand together and respect each other by the same symmetry is unique in France.

The facade carved coats of arms, as well as niches and pilasters.

The castle is the subject of a registration under Monuments since April 19, 1996.

Park Coppice castle has beautiful trees and old: we note in particular Giant Sequoia, Tulip tree, Atlas cedar.

It is dotted with clumps of flower beds and buildings such as the orangery (Imitating a Temple Greco-Roman) or stables built in Chapel of XVI century. It contains all the symbolism and spirit Parks XVIII century.

The chateau can be rented for special occasions. It also contains a WWII museum.

Chateau du Champ de Bataille

The Chteau du Champ-de-Bataille, located in the region Haute-Normandie, between the commune of Neubourg and Sainte-Opportune-du-Bosc, in the Department Eure, is a baroque castle built in 17th century for the Marchal de Crqui.

It is situated in the Campagne du Neubourg between the river Risle in the west and the river Iton in the east.

Marquis Alexandre de Crquy-Bernieulle (16281703) was arrested and sent in the province 1650 by Cardinal Mazarin. He built the Chteau du Champ-de-Bataille between 1653 and 1665

The Garden la franaise was created beginning in 1992 by the new owner, interior designer Jacques Garcia. It was inspired by sketches of the original garden, long vanished, which showed the placement of the great terrace, the broderies and bousquets, and the proportions of the Carrs of Apollo and Diana. These features were scrupulously reproduced, while the new features of the garden took their "measure and tone" from the model of the original. The garden is listed by the French Ministry of Culture as one of the Notable Gardens of France.

Museum , Chateau and Gardens are opened from march to October from 2pm to 6pm: on week-ends and bank holidays in march, April and October Daily from may to September

Chateau de Martainville

Located in Martainville-Epreville,15 km north-east of Rouen, the castle houses a museum, and was built in 1485 by a Flemish architect for Jacques Le Pelletier, lord of Martinville.

It is a fine example of Renaissance architecture of the first and has kept its original layout and its outbuildings: dovecot, charretterie, bread oven, well-timbered.

Created in 1965 by the General Council of Seine-Maritime, the museum houses an outstanding collection of furniture Upper Normandy tracing the evolution of styles from the fifteenth to the nineteenth century. The ethnographic regions of Haute-Normandie is presented in the guise of domestic farm restored with furniture and objects of daily life in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

The top floor of the castle evokes the history of textiles and costume in Normandy with paintings, headdresses and jewelry regional nineteenth century. In common, a rich agricultural collection is visible to visitors.

Open all the year from 10 am to 12:30 and from 2 pm to 6 pm (5 pm in Winter). On sundays from 2 pm to 6:30 pm (5:30 in Winter).

Closed on sundays' mornings and tuesdays, and the 1st January, 1st May, 1st and 11th November and 25th December.

Collections

Decorative Arts
Ceramics
Ethnology
History
Furniture

Castle Martainville
76116-Martainville preville
02 35 23 44 70
Fax
02 35 23 16 84

Chateau de Etelan

The Chteau d'telan is a historical building in the commune of Saint-Maurice-d'telan in the Seine-Maritime dpartement in Normandy, France. Situated on the right bank ot the Seine between the Brotonne and Tancarville bridges, the Chteau dtelan commands a site overlooking the final loop of the river Seine.

Originally designed as a castle, it was later converted to a 15th century flamboyant gothic mansion.

In 1494 Louis Picart, magistrate of Troyes and Tournaisis, friend and chamberlain of King Louis XII with whom he went to Italy, undertook the construction of the chateau.

In August 1563, the Regent, Catherine de' Medici and the young King Charles IX visited telan, having just recaptured Le Havre from the British (27 July 1563). Thus it was in telan that Regent, advised by Michel de l'Hpital decided to proclaim one year early the majority of the King (4 August 1563).

At telan she had drawn up, signed and sealed the letter proclaiming "the Kings of age" convening the Parliament of Rouen to register the summons.

History or legend tells us that the following people have spent time at telan : Louis XI (6 June 13 July 1475), Francis I (during the construction of le Havre), Catherine de' Medici and Charles IX with the future kings Henry III and Henry IV, Marguerite de Navarre and Michel de l'Hpital (August, 1563), Voltaire (17231724). Andr Caplet, composer and winner of the Grand Prix of Rome often stayed in telan and composed some of his works there including Mass for three voices.

The chteau is listed as a monument historique in the Historical Monuments File of the French Ministry of Culture. Completed in 1494 by Louis Picart, the Chteau dtelan was built on the site of a fortress which has been destroyed under the order of Louis XI. Of the medieval construction, only the cellar, the castle wall and the guard house dating from 1350 remain.

Constructed in a flamboyant Gothic style, it is the contemporary with the Law Court and the htel de Bourgtheroulde in Rouen and as old as the Chteau de Clres. The building consists of two dwellings built from layers of bricks and stones and joined together by a magnificent stone staircase dating from the first Renaissance.

As integral part of the main building, the Chapel, dedicated to Mary Magdalene, include stained glass windows, wall paintings and statues which characterised the first Norman Renaissance.

www.chateau-etelan.fr

Chateau de Miromesnil

Location: Tourville-sur-Arques, Dieppe

Built in 1590 on the ruins of a castle destroyed during the Battle of Arques Castle Miromesnil reflects four centuries of architectural history.

The sleek lines of the south side of Henry IV then contrasted with the profusion of decorative facade north in the style of Louis XIII monumental.

Despite the succession of several owners, the castle has preserved set pieces of past centuries: woodwork sixteenth and eighteenth centuries, parts of ironwork, moldings nineteenth century. Furniture (sofas, dresser, cabinet) traces the life at the castle in the eighteenth century.

On the ground floor of one tower, a small living room was redesigned in the style XIX, suggesting the presence of the family between 1849 and 1853 Maupassant.

Dominated by a Lebanese cedar bi-centenary, the castle park is enclosed by walls of brick (seventeenth century), behind which bloom fruit trees, roses, magnolias, tree peonies. Cons Castle, the home garden (restored in 1950 by the Countess Bertrand de Vogue, grandmother of the current owners), remained true to its original purpose garden "feeder" and "pleasure". Separated by alleys of turf, square wisely ordered vegetables and flowers for cutting or drying contrast with the wealth of all British border of annual flowers, bulbs or perennials that surround them: a fantastic harmony of delicate colors that vary seasons ...

A cluster of trees characteristic of Caux, surrounds the park. Faithful to the plane of the eighteenth century, the beech forest opens up vast prospects.

Now closed, it consists of about 3000 Beech peaking at 40 meters.

Birthplace of Guy de Maupassant now a 1 bedroom B&B open: 1, April to 1, November, from 14:00 to 18:00.

A guided visit of the garden, the castle and the chapel: price : 7.50 per adult and 4 for children A walk alone in the kitchen garden and the park: price: 5

www.chateaumiromesnil.com

Chateau de Bizy

The Castle Bizy is located Vernon in the Department ofEure in Haute-Normandie.

In Middle Age The fief Bizy belongs to the lords of Blaru. It then passes the XIV century, Family Jubert. The October 8 1596 King Henry IV was received by this family, and 1675 Michel-Andre Jubert Bouville, State Councillor, Gets the erection of the manor in marquisate and built himself a castle, elongated building plan, covered with slate, flanked by two pavilions higher and preceded by two stairways horseshoe.

In 1721 The Duke of Belle-Isle (1684-1761), Grand-son of Fouquet, Who received land in exchange of Belle Isle Counties Gisors, The Andelys and Vernon, Comes into possession of the field. The duke, who became Marshal of France in 1741, Enlarged the estate and commissioned work Bizy considerable worth to the nickname "Norman Versailles." It creates a forecourt terrace and half-moon, the Avenue Capuchin which connects the castle to the Seine, is develop all the small park and hunting ground. It envisages the reconstruction of the castle and asked the architect Pierre Contant d'Ivry the task of building, between 1741 and 1743The backyard with stables inspired by Versailles and the footbath basin. The September 21 1749Marshal receives a visit from Bizy Louis XV and Madame de Pompadour.

At his death in 1761, King returns to his estate, which in 1762, Exchange in Count of Eu against the sovereign principality of Dombes. At his death in 1775, Count of Eu bequeathed the estate to his cousin Louis Jean Marie de BourbonDuke of Penthievre, son of Count of Toulouse. From 1783 The Duke made frequent visits to Bizy; in 1792 He moved there with his daughter Duchess of Orleans. There he died peacefully in her bed 1793.

The castle was confiscated as national asset in Prairial VI (1797), Is sold to property dealers who destroy the main building. In 1805, General Le Suire bought the estate and built a new home, more modest, in front of the yard (north west side).

In 1817 The Duchess of Orleans, who bought his property sold during the Revolution, comes into possession of Bizy his son, now Louis-Philippe Ist in 1830, Inherits his death in 1821: He added two wings to the building, restoring old buildings, creating a landscaped garden and planted numerous trees. The king stayed there often, sometimes going there by train from the commissioning of a line, 1843.

In 1858 The property of the House of Orleans Confiscated by Napoleon III Are auctioned. Bizy is acquired by Baron Fernand de Schickler, brother- Duke of Albufera, Then mayor of Vernon. In 1860 He rebuilt the central part of the house, perhaps by the architect William White (1825-1900), In a very neo-classical Italianate, perhaps inspired by the palaces of Albani Rome. A living room is specially equipped to receive painted woodwork, coming, according to tradition, the Chateau de Bercy. In 1909 Baron de Schickler Bizy bequeathed to his nephew Louis Suchet, fourth Duke of Albufera, which completes the castle, closing the courtyard with two wings. The castle remained since then in Family Suchet Albufera.

The main building was rebuilt in 1860 in stone with a roof terrace equipped with a railing with a porch on the north side and south side bar open gallery on the ground floor and first floor pilasters. In early XX century were built the two wings which close the courtyard.

The corner pavilions, built in XIX century are covered with a slate roof horn broken.

The common roofs are covered with long pieces of slate and the stables have pedimented dormers

Thus, the original building remain the beautiful stables and a large part of the garden with its wealth of water: basin Neptune Buffet water fountain Scribbles Fountain sea horses, etc.. due to the architect Pierre Contant d'Ivry.

Open for visits 1 Apr to 1 Nov everyday except Monday. 10-12, 14-18 o'clock.

Chateau de Saint-Victor

Location: Ancretieville-Saint-Victor, Yvetot

Private, Built in 1730

Once a year, the castle can be visited

Chateau de Bailleul

Location: Angerville-Bailleul, Valmont

Private, Built in 16th

Gardens and castle open to public.

Chateau Angerville-la-Martel

Location: Angerville-la-Martel, Valmont

Private, Built in 17th

Chateau de Silleron

Location: Angiens, St.Valery-en-Caux

Private, Built in 17th

Chateau de Auberville La Manuel

Location: Auberville La Manuel, St.Martin-aux-Buneaux

Private , Built in 1447

Beautiful castle with real fortified gates.

Chateau des Nids

Location: Bosville

Built in 18th

This is the current town hall.

Chateau de Boury-en-Vexin

Location: Boury-en-Vexin, Rouen

Private, Built in 1685

Open Jul-Aug, every day except Tuesday 14h30 to 18h30

Chateau de Cleres

Location: Cleres, Rouen

Built in 16th

This Chateau also has a manor, and is situated inside a zoological parc

Chateau de Crasville-la-Rocquefort

Location: Crasville-la-Rocquefort, Veules-les-Roses

Private, Built in 1602

Outside visits possible 1st Jul - 10th Aug.

Chateau Arnouville

Location: Ermenouville, St.Valery-en-Caux

Private, Built in 16th

Can be visited one weekend of the year

Chateau Orcher

The Chateau d'Orcher is a castle in the commune of Gonfreville-l'Orcher in the Seine-Maritime departement of France.

Built to protect the mouth of the River Seine, it includes an imposing square crenellated tower. In the 18th century it was transformed into a residence.

The Auricher fiefdom was created by the Duke of Normandy for a family who got the name Aurichier from a place down in the Seine Valley and built the castle with a chapel (Sainte-Honorine) on top of a cliff overlooking the Seine. The square keep was surrounded by a trapezoidal enceinte, defended in the 13th century by three square towers. In 1360 it was partly destroyed on the orders of officials from Harfleur. Rebuilt later, it was taken by the English in 1415 at the same time as Harfleur.

The Crespin family was dispossessed by Henry V. Some French sources state that Henry gave the castle to John Falstaff, the fictional Shakespearean character, but this is almost certainly meant to be Sir John Fastolf. In 1434, the castle and its associated possessions and privileges were given to the Duke of Bedford. In 1449, the esates reverted to the Crespins and later, by legacy, went to the Breze family in 1488 and finally to the O family in 1539. In 1604, the Orcher land was decreed to be the property of Georges Laillet seigneur of Auricher, and consisted of castle, fortress and house covered with slate. In 1632 the estates became the property of the Potier family.

Thomas Planterose took possession in 1735 and over the next ten years set about transforming the castle. He employed master masons Francois de la Motte and Jacques Lesueur, both from Picardy, and a master plasterer from Caudebec-en-Caux, Courtel]. The elegant woodwork was created by a carpenter from Le Havre, Le Roux. The two north towers and the ruins of the great keep in the north-west were demolished, along with the curtain walls.

In 1795, following the division of the estate with the death of Madame de Melmont, the property was described as a "dwelling house castle and accessories and a farm of 145 acres". In the 19th century, the estate became the property of the Rochechouart family, who had the castle, notably the tower, restored in 1857 by the architect P. Philippon.

The Chateau d'Orcher is listed as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.

Open for visit 1st Jul-15th Aug 14:00-18:00.

Chateau Heudicourt

Location: Heudicourt, Rouen

Private, Built in 17th

14 Hectar park can be visited. Chateau can be visited once a year.

Chateau Imbleville

Location: Imbleville, Yvetot

Private, Built in 15th

The chateau grounds can be visited from the 22nd of June until 31st of August on Thursday until Sunday, from 11:00 - 13:00 and 14:00-18:00

Cost: 2 for adults and 1 for children.

Chateau de Janville

Location: Paluel, Veulettes-sur-Mer

Beautifully restored castle of the seventeenth Century (1610), enlarged in the nineteenth. Large park and dovecote. Sits right at the end of a small private airport strip.

Free visit duration: 30-40 minutes
Open from 1 July to 31 August every day from 10 am to 17h, and Heritage Days. Outside only.

Chateau Herbouville

Location: St.-Pierre-le-Vieux, Veules-les-Roses

Private, Built in 16th

Open Sundays, 10-12 and 14-17:30.

Chateau de la Petite-Croix

Location: St. Eustache La Foret, Lillebonne

Private, Built in 19th

Outside can be visited Mar-Sep. Inside by request only.